Archdiocese in Central Florida Confronted By Victim

According to a report from the Orlando Sentinel, the Catholic Archdiocese in Orlando is being publicly confronted by an alleged victim of sexual abuse. At Pike & Lustig, LLP, we are strong advocates for victims of sexual misconduct. Here, our West Palm Beach civil sexual assault attorney provides a more comprehensive overview of the allegations.
Florida Man Has Come Forward: Sexual Abuse Allegations
As confirmed by reporting from the Orlando Sentinel, a man in central Florida has publicly accused the Diocese of Orlando of failing to take responsibility for sexual abuse he says began when he was a child. He is fighting to raise awareness of what he asserts happened to him. Indeed, the man alleges the abuse started around age seven and continued for several years. He states that he was left with severe, lasting emotional and psychological harm.
Notably, the priest he identified had previously been included on the diocese’s list of clergy considered “credibly accused,” though the institution has stated that its internal review did not find records supporting his claim. The man told the Orlando Sentinel and diocesan lawyers that the priest abused him beginning when he was about seven years old. In 2025, another man came forward alleging the priest abused him from 1977 to 1982, beginning when he was age seven and the priest allegedly used wine and forced oral sex.
Understanding How the Statute of Limitations Work in These Cases
The man has sought acknowledgment and accountability, but, unfortunately, his legal options may be limited due to Florida’s statute of limitations for older abuse claims. Cases like this can be deeply difficult. Many survivors come forward years later, often after decades of silence, and seek recognition, support, and a path toward healing. For a case like this man’s claim against the Diocese of Orlando, the first question is who is being sued and what exact civil cause of action is being pleaded. Florida does not use one single limitations rule for every sex-abuse-related civil claim.
The rule changes depending on whether the claim is against the actual perpetrator for an intentional sex offense or against an institution such as a church, school, or diocese for negligence, supervision, retention, or vicarious liability. For claims tied to conduct that would constitute a violation of Florida’s sexual battery statute and involved a victim who was under 16 at the time, Florida now says the action may be commenced at any time. The catch is critical: that unlimited filing rule applies only to actions that were not already time-barred on or before July 1, 2010.
We Fight for Justice for Sexual Assault Victims in Florida
At Pike & Lustig, LLP, our West Palm Beach civil sexual assault attorney is a compassionate, experienced advocate for justice. If you have any questions about civil sexual assault, please do not hesitate to contact us today for a free consultation. With an office in West Palm and an office in Miami, we represent victims throughout all of South Florida.
Source:
orlandosentinel.com/2026/03/28/i-am-the-evidence-alleged-victim-of-priests-abuse-confronts-orlando-diocese/
