West Palm Beach Man Killed in Tragic Hit and Run Crash
According to reporting from The Palm Beach Post, Wilson Vasquez Hernandez, a 23-year-old father form West Palm Beach, was killed in a tragic hit and run accident. The crash, which occurred near Conniston Middle school in the early morning hours of Saturday, August 3rd, is believed to have involved a grayish-black sedan. Police are actively searching for this car.
Following an accident in Florida, drivers have a duty to stop their vehicle, render necessary aid, and exchange information. Unfortunately, hit and run crashes remain a very serious problem in our region. Here, our West Palm Beach auto accident lawyers explain what you should do if you or your loved one was hurt in a hit and run collision.
What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident in Florida
Dealing with the aftermath of a hit and run crash is stressful, frustrating, confusing, and overwhelming. At this time, it is crucial that injured victims take proactive steps to protect their health, well-being, and legal rights. Among other things, hit and run accident victims should:
- Secure Information: Gather any information you can about the responsible vehicle, including a partial license plate number, the make and model, and the direction it was going. The more details that you have, the more likely it is that the case will be solved.
- Report the Crash: Report the accident to a local or state law enforcement agency. Law enforcement will document the collision and initiate an investigation.
- See a Doctor: Get yourself a comprehensive medical evaluation from a qualified doctor. All car accident injuries should be checked out by a professional.
- Call a Lawyer: Contact a West Palm Beach car accident lawyer who has experience handling hit and run crashes.
Compensation Available to Injured Victims
Under Florida law, injured victims can seek financial compensation for the complete value of their monetary and non-monetary losses. Specifically, money damages may be available for the following types of losses:
- Vehicles repair or replacement;
- Emergency medical bills;
- Other medical expenses;
- Loss of current and future wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disability; and
- Wrongful death.
Of course, there are additional challenges associated with bringing a hit and run accident injury claim. This is where an experienced West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer can help. Your lawyer will help you pursue every path to obtain the maximum available financial support. To start, your lawyer can help launch an independent investigation to track down the responsible driver. Additionally, options may be available to pursue financial compensation through your own insurance coverage or through another third party defendant.
Contact Our West Palm Beach, FL Auto Accident Attorney Today
At Pike & Lustig, LLP, our Florida car accident lawyers have the skills and legal experience needed to protect your rights after a serious hit and run crash. If you or your family member was hurt in a collision with a hit and run driver, please contact us now for a free, no obligation case evaluation. With an office in West Palm Beach and an office in Miami, we handle auto accident injury claims throughout Southeast Florida.